GENS UNA SUMUS!

OUR PREFERRED EQUIPMENT VENDOR

OUR PREFERRED EQUIPMENT VENDOR
Use Link For Great Deals!!

Monday, March 10, 2008

1st MCA/Southwest Chess Club FIDE Futurity March 8-9, 2008, Hales Corners, WI

IM Mesgen Amanov, left, trying to stay awake.
Perhaps the reason Dave Sagunsky, front left, had a great tournament is his amazing ability to imitate FM Alex Stamnov, left rear.Dean Arond, right, achieved a FIDE rating norm!

It is now history. It was a success overall. We had 2 IMs, 1 FM, a sizeable amount of players and one participant achieved his first FIDE rating norm. The downside was that the event lost about $300. So, let me do a little fund raising. If you like international competition in the Midwest, please send anything you can. Even $5.00 would help. What I promise you is I will put the money back into a few ideas I've been kicking around. First, the Monroi device. I would like to transmit the events on the internet, but the investment for the equipment is sizeable. I also would like to provide chess sets, so the players don't have to bring them. Providing appearance fees helps attract IMs and GMs. Lastly, I would like to give away T-shirts to those players that achieve their FIDE ratings. Thank you for tolerating the fund drive, but I can't continue to spend my own money for long, but as a community we can build something special.

This event was not about Chris Baumgartner, either. This event would not have been possible without the support of many people. I wish to thank the staff of the Southwest Chess Club. They shared their wonderful space and they gave their time and energy. Tom Fogec was the spearhead of their team. If I held the checkbook, Tom held the rulebook. Allen Becker was our computer guru. Robin Grochowski came to my aid on the blog forums and served as Assistant TD. His son, Andrew and David Sagunsky helped to set up and break down the event. These guys are awesome and I couldn't have asked for a better team. Jim Coons provided the DGT demonstration board! I think everyone enjoyed that. Ivan Wijetunge posted the event on his site beforehand and provided information to the internet beast during the event. (Sorry I couldn't do it, but I'm not the best multitasker-I had to watch all the details. And a player didn't have an opponent in the first round, so I wanted him to have a game. It is only right, I hate to pay money to sit around at a chess tournament; chessplayers come to play!) And we can not forget the players themselves! Ashish Vaja stopped by and donated $100 to first prize bringing it up to $400! Thank you to the two IMs who said they wanted to support FIDE chess in the midwest. Special thanks goes out to Sevan Muradian and International Arbiter Frank Berry who supplied invaluable technical information and support!!! Some people get it and some talk trash.
Tournament Crosstable FIDE
PRIZE WINNERS:

Angelo Young
Mesgen Amanov 4.5 1st-2nd $325 each

Gopal Menon
Souvik Roychoudhury
Robert Bruch 4.0 3rd place+1st &2nd U2000 $133.33 each

Jon Bonwell
Deon Horton
David Sagunsky 3.0 1st & 2nd U1800 $83.33

Ryan Richardson
Alex Yerukhimov
Steve Richardson 2.0 1st & 2nd U1600 $75 each

Walter White 2.0 U1400 $75

Joe Hall-Reppen Biggest Upset $50 Monico-Barros_Hall-Reppen
GAMES:
AMANOV-HOFFMAN has been chosen as the winner of the BEST GAME prize!